Ackermann Interest Group
This page provides links to all current ROS code related to Ackermann steering based robots. Discussions are aimed at producing generic interfaces for control, navigation and simulation of Ackermann robots.
- Piyush Khandelwal
- Jack O'Quin
- Cedric Pradalier
- Chien-Liang Fok
- Austin Hendrix
- Matt Droter
We are interested in mobile robots using Ackermann steering geometry, as shown in this diagram (from Wikipedia). Since these robots cannot turn in place, they are difficult for the standard ROS navigation stack to support.
Diagram by User:Bromskloss [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons. Original image cropped by Andy Dingley.
Robots and code
New ackermann_msgs package (created by group discussion)
- New ackermann_qt package
- Drivers: AVR with custom driver
- Driver Interface: standard cmd_vel and odom
Navigation: Customized navigation stack, using sbpl_lattice_planner and custom local planner (incomplete)
- Documentation: pending software stability
- NXT Lego car-like simulation
- Agvs robot
- Robot for logistics autonomous transport
- This planner is being extended to support ackermann type vehicles with kinodynamic constraints (aka limited turning radius)
- RBCAR robot