|Please ask about problems and questions regarding this tutorial on answers.ros.org. Don't forget to include in your question the link to this page, the versions of your OS & ROS, and also add appropriate tags.|
Testing HardwareDescription: Scripts that check/verify the hardware.
Keywords: kobuki, turtlebot, hardware, bumpers, cliff, wheel drop, analog port, digital port, buttons, LED, sensors
Tutorial Level: INTERMEDIATE
Next Tutorial: Generate a Battery Profile
Show EOL distros:
The kobuki_testsuite package provides a bunch of scripts to thoroughly test specific kobuki hardware components. They also happen to be very simple examples of how to communicate with the Kobuki's ROS API - find and read them!
Test batteries: generate a profile as demonstrated in the Generate a Battery Profile tutorial.
- Test digital output port: this program will start sending a variety of digital io signals to the robot. It will set all output signals to false, then iteratively turn each one to true. In doing so, it will cycle through a mask that will negate the setting for one of the outputs. The process then repeats itself masking the next output in the sequence instead.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_digital_output.py
- Test events raised by hardware components; the following events should be reported:
- wheel drops
- plug/unplug adapter
- dock/undock on base
- charge completed
- battery low/critical
- digital input changes
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_events.py
- Test analogue input: this program continuously prints the input from the four analogue ports.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_analog_input.py
- Test battery voltage: this program continuously prints the battery voltage.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_battery_voltage.py
- Test gyro: this program continuously prints the angle and angular velocity reported by the gyro.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_gyro.py
- Test LED array: this program alternates different color combinations on Kobuki's LEDs.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_led_array.py
- Test simple motions: these programs just makes the robot rotate or translate alternating the direction. Maybe you will need to install ros-groovy-kdl package.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_rotation.py > rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_translation.py
- Test sounds: this program just plays all the system sounds.
> rosrun kobuki_testsuite test_sounds.py