Special Interest Group (SIG)
SIG mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of Discourse Categories: Please read http://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-sig-migration-method/35
ROS consists of many different parts - from core and low-level parts such as build system, networking and drivers to higher level applications, such as navigation and manipulation. Each release of ROS contains improvements in one or more of these areas.
SIGs have been introduced to guide the development process for each release, but have quickly outgrown their original purpose and are now developer groups focusing on specific areas. However, they are still playing an important role in the release process.
If you want to know more about the current development in a specific area or want to contribute in the development, do not hesitate to join an existing SIG or create a new one, if you find your topic or area missing.
- Each SIG designates a SIG Coordinator. If an SIG cannot agree on a coordinator, one will be chosen for you.
- The coordinator will organize planning meeting(s) for the SIG. This can be done over IRC, video chat (e.g. Skype, Google Hangout), at ROSCON, IROS, ICRA or whatever medium bests fits the composition of your SIG.
Each SIG group will post their planning notes as a sub-page of http://ros.org/wiki/sig/<SIG-NAME>.
- Each SIG will create a mailing list and document it on the SIG page.
The usual format is ros-sig-<SIG-NAME>.
- It is recommended to use a Google Group.
- Add a subject prefix, usually [SIG-NAME].
- Make 'Reply To List' the default.
- Make the list such that anyone can join
- When you create a SIG please announce it on ros-users.
Contribution to ROS releases
Once your SIG is ready to contribute to a ROS release, link your SIG to the active planning cycle e.g. hydro/Planning#SIGs.
Rosjava - including android development discussions.
SIGs on the ROS wiki
Existing SIGs with a ROS wiki page
|/Drivers /Embedded /GeographicInfo /MicroAirVehicle /Multimaster /NXT /Navigation /NextGenerationROS /Parameters /Perception /RobotControl /RobotSkin /Rosjava /arm /manipulation /mav /roslaunch /shadow_robot /tf2|
SIGs for specific robot platforms
SIGs on Google Groups
Most SIGs make use of Google Groups. Here is an overview of existing ones: